Friday, October 29, 2010

Super Scary!!

Toa, Alofa and I have had a rough few days! It got pretty scary for me, and not because it is almost Halloween either. Toa normally poops 2 to 3 times a day so on Tuesday I started to get a little worried since he hadn't pooped since early Tuesday morning. By Wednesday I started to look for ways to help him poop since I noticed that his belly was getting big and hard. I knew he was constipated. I tried rubbing his belly, that didn't work. By 8 p.m that night Toa was in alot of pain and was crying a ton! He actually didn't stop crying till Thursday around noon when my Aunt Karen brought over some Karo syrup to put in his bottle to help him poop. That didn't work either. I talked to the Dr. and they recommended that he try some watered down prune juice. Didn't work either. Then a pharmacist recommended that we put 1/2 of a suppository in and that would do the trick. I only put 1/4 of one in just to make sure that it was safe for him. He pooped about 2 mins later and he pooped ALOT!! I was soooo relieved! I have never been so happy for him to make a MESS as I was at that time!! A little while later, I was feeding him and noticed that his soft spot on the top of his head had sunken in. I FREAKED out!! I started bawling and almost passed out! I had never been so scared in my whole life! Alofa and I took him to the emergency room and I asked the nurse if we needed to check him in or if I was just over reacting. I knew that he was dehydrated and that was why his soft spot had sunk in but I wasn't sure if it was a SERIOUS problem and if he needed to be checked in the E.R. I wanted to be safe instead of sorry though. She recommended that we check him in and so we did. They rehydrated him and took x-rays of his tummy to make sure we got all of the hard stool out. The Dr. said that we did a good job. He is fine now and is the sweet, happy baby he always had been before he got his tummy ache. There is nothing worse than not knowing how to help a sweet helpless baby feel better! I am so grateful for his health and that he is doing fine now. I must admit though, I was scared!

2 comments:

Heather B said...

That IS way scary!! I'm glad you were on top of things and that you paid attention to your motherly instinct!!! I remember when Kalia was just a few days old and started spitting up FLORESCENT yellow stuff and I freaked out too...I even managed to save in in a yellow baggie to show the pediatrician, who told me it was probably just colostrum, but colostrum isn't that color yellow...but whatever...she turned out okay too, but man, it can definitely be scary when they're so tiny and dependent all on YOU!

Katie Ladwig said...

You did a good job Mama. Figuring things out those first few months can be really hard. I'm glad things turned out good.