Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Grandpa Thomas E. Howerton

What a hard yet cherished post.  I have been thinking for over a week as to what I wanted to say in order to honor my sweet Grandpa Howerton and yet the tears still flow and my heart aches as am reminded how much I love him and miss him.  I decided to pull out my missionary journals and reflect on what I wrote about my grandparents as I was on my mission.  What a tender experience it was to read the words that I wrote.
May 11, 2003
"I got to call my mom, my grandparents and my dad today. It was good to talk to them but the news that I  got about my grandpa made my heart sink.  I know that Heavenly Father is in control. I hope that Heavenly Father will permit my grandpa to stay here until I get home. I know that this sounds selfish but I pray that Heavenly Father will allow my grandpa to stay here until I get married and have babies, so that they will know just how wonderful he is.  I tried to be happy and let them know that I am doing well here in Georgia, but I couldn't, I just cried and cried on the phone.  I love my sweet grandpa so much and would do anything for him. I even made sure that I didn't go over the 20 minute limit that my mission president gave us so that maybe the blessings that would come from being obedient will fall on grandpa.  I told my grandpa that I would pray for him.  He said, "I know that if someone like you prays for me, I will be alright. It is a very special thing to have you pray for me." I don't know why he has so much faith in me. He stared crying when it came time to hang up. I guess it's hard for him that I am here too."
May 9th, 2004
"I got to call home today.  I talked to my grandparents, Tina, dad, Joseph, Savana and Randy. It was good to talk to them. My grandpa and dad said they have been waiting all week to talk to me. It was so cute!! My grandparents say they can't wait for me to come home and my grandpa even said that he wanted the 1st hug.  He then told me that he loves me as much as a person can love another person. That was very special for me to hear that from him. I am happy that everything is going well at home!" 
Some of the things that I wrote in those journal entries I remembered, for example, I remember praying to Heavenly Father to allow my grandpa to stay until he could meet my eternal companion and babies.  I remember it clear as day.  I am so thankful that prayer was heard.  My grandpa has always been a very special and important person in my life. He has loved me unconditionally and always made sure that I knew that. It may sound funny, but I can still feel his love today and I hope that feeling never goes away. I learned so much from him and I am a better person for it.  I know that he is in paradise now, happy and looking down on us this very minute. I hope I can always live my life in such a way that would be pleasing to him. This world is a better place because of
Thomas E. Howerton
4/23/1938 - 7/15/2012


2 comments:

Jenn said...

What a sweet post! You are amazing Shantal! Your grandpa is a sweet man, and he touched many hearts on this side of Heaven and will touch many more!

Heather B said...

It makes me cry that this prayer of yours could be answered. You two have a very special relationship. I am positive that he will continue to watch over all of you from the other side of the veil!!! I think you will sense him being there at certain events, or even whispering little promptings! I am certain my Grandma once helped me from the other side when Kalia fell in a hot tub. They are closer than we realize. :) LOVE YOU HOWIE!