Saturday, August 11, 2007

Frustration at work!!!

Ok, don't get me wrong... I LOVE my job, but this past week has been one that you just might consider less than desirable. It all started on Monday. I had worked Sunday midnight to Monday morning and had to come back Monday afternoon to work from 4 to midnight. I came to work at 4 on almost no sleep, but still in a pretty good mood and started making dinner for the kids. Around 5 O'clock I got a phone call from a man who seemed to be quite irate. His brother had taken his cigarettes to a group and the counselor who was facilitating the group had confiscated them and destroyed them, So this, "gentleman", for lack of better words, called wanting to talk to this counselor. When I informed him that she was not in he told me that I was going to take care of the situation for her then and told me that he would be at MK Place in five minutes and I had better have his cigarettes or money to replace the pack that had been destroyed. I had no idea as to what had even happened and so I called the counselor. She told me that it might be a good idea to call the cops, just in case, this "gentleman" has been known to cause BIG problems in the past and if I needed any help to call her back. I was so scared... Shaking in my boots. Without fail, less than five minutes later this "gentleman" showed up at the door. It was a guy that I had gone to High School with and when I realized who it was, I was no longer afraid. I told this "gentleman" that I was not intimidated by him and that he was not going to get his cigarettes back nor would we replace them, that he had no right to be upset with us but rather should be upset with his brother who took them to group in the first place. Ok, so that took care of that, he left VERY upset with me but at least I didn't have to suffer a beating for it, Like I thought I might have to.

Next Frustration of the week... Two of my clients are in jail... Not for using drugs though, so I guess that reflects good on my part as their drug and alcohol counselor. I had to go to the jail to meet with them, that was quite the experience. They know what they need to do and how to do it, the challenge comes in actually doing it. I guess that goes for all of us on some degree or another.

Last Frustration of the week that I will bore you with, even though there are MANY more... A client came to my group HIGH! Yep, that's right. When he walked in I looked at him and had my suspicions but didn't say anything. Then he got all defensive and asked me why I was looking at him, I told him no reason and asked why he was so defensive and paranoid. He then said that I probably thought he was high, I told him I wasn't going to lie and that the thought had crossed my mind. I then asked him to go into the building to take a U.A. He went in and told them that he couldn't go pee so they sent him back to my group with some water... He never came to my group but instead ran. I guess you can chalk that one up to a dirty U.A. Bless his heart! He's in jail now too. When will these kids ever learn? The funny part of the whole thing is that I had some new kids in my group and as we were reviewing my group rules the very first one the kids mentioned was... Do NOT come to group high! So I guess they are learning... Slowly but surly!

"How could all of this happen in just one week?" You might be asking yourself, well there is plenty more from where that came from... If you are interested in knowing more, just drop me a line, I would be happy to share. I guess you might think that I am pretty negative about my job from reading this, but in all reality I love what I do, even though it can be VERY CHALLENGING at times. I guess you gotta take the bad with the good!

No comments: